Dr John McCarthy PhD BSc (hons) MBCS
CSCIS Senior Advisor, National Critical Infrastructures and Aviation
International Cyber Strategy; Leading International Cyber Assessment Teams; Cyber Training and education, National Level Cyber Security Initiatives; Cybersecurity Courseware Development Cyber and critical National Infrastructures
Dr John McCarthy is a Senior Advisor at CSCIS on national critical infrastructure and aviation.
Dr John McCarthy is a world renowned authority on CyberSecurity strategy, development and implementation. He holds a PhD in CyberSecurity and e-Business Development and is an internationally recognized author of a number of academic papers discussing all aspects of CyberSecurity in the modern world.
John is frequently invited to sit on expert panels and appear as an expert speaker at well-known CyberSecurity events. Past appearances have included talks on ICT Security in the Modern Airport, Security in the Digital Age and SCADA threats in the Modern Airport at various prominent international conferences. John is also a leading expert on social engineering awareness training and best practice.
Based at multiple Universities John also heads a research team examining the potential cyber threats to IT systems within airports. His current research focus is a joint Anglo-American project involving both UK and USA universities.
Furthermore, John’s impressive list of posts include seats on a number of prominent US committees that offer advice and policy guidance to the US government on cybersecurity matters. He is also panel member of the American Transport Research Board researching Cyber Security best practice for airports throughout North America. He is an active member of the ACI EUROPE Aviation Security Committee, the British Computer Society (BSC), Elite, the International Committee on Information Warfare and Security and a Member of the Worshipful Company of Information Technologists. John is also a Freeman of the City of London.
Honours & Awards
- Brunel University – 2009 – PhD in “The Evolution of e-business in SME’s”
- Bucks New University – 2003 – 2:1 B.Sc. (hons) Internet Technology
- Oxford College of Further Education – 1991- Further Education Adults Teaching CertificatePanel member of the National Academy of Science (USA) – Cyber Security Best Practices in Airports
- Member of the Airport Council International Cyber Committee
- Member of the International Committee on Information Warfare and Security
- Member of Elite – The senior management arm of the British Computer Society
- Member of the Worshipful Company of Information Technologists
- Freeman of the City of London